January 30, 2011

Bookworm



Reading has been an important part of my life for as long as I can remember. As a child, my mother would read to me every night before bed. While other children would happily look at the pictures in the book while their parent read the story, I was always focused on the words. I quickly taught myself how to read this way & soon enough I preferred reading quietly to myself before bed. In highschool I read a book every week. I'd stay up until the wee hours of the morning just to finish a story, even if having to wake up at 6am for school. I became obsessed. Now I take a much more relaxed approach to reading. I enjoy reading a chapter or two before bed or sitting at starbucks for an hour or two, book in hand. I've recently joined a book club that one of my bestie's has started. Our first book is Lolita, which I am very excited about! Has anyone read it?

I thought I'd introduce a few of my favorite reads & list a few books that I'm excited to read later this year. I'd also like to integrate a book review feature into the blog. Hopefully I can review one or two books a month.

A few favorites...
{1984 by George Orwell; East of Eden by John Steinbeck; Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger; The Life Room by Jill Bialosky; Night by Elie Wiesel; Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella; Socrates Cafe by Christopher Phillips; The Road by Cormac McCarthy}

& a few future reads...
{Frank: The Voice by James Kaplan; Freedom by Jonathan Franzen; An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin; Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart}

My favorites listed are not in any particular order and all are completely different from the next. The Shopaholic series introduced me to the "Chick Lit" genre, however it's the only light-hearted, funny series that I have ever been able to get into. Audrey Niffenegger is probably my favorite modern writer. She also wrote Time Traveler's Wife & she is an amazing poet. Her writing style is so unique & original. I am always intrigued by any work she produces. Christopher Phillips is responsible for many more philosophical books based on Socrates teachings. Socrates in Love is another one of my favorites by him. I was introduced to his work while taking a philosophy class in college. His books expose peoples' most honest thoughts concerning things like truth, honesty, love, & commitment. Very, very interesting.

The four books listed as future reads were all gifted to me for Christmas from my parents. I am probably most excited about the new Frank Sinatra biography. I have read others but this one is apparently supposed to be the best & move revealing of his life.

What are you reading? Any books you're looking forward to reading this year?
I am currently reading July, July by Tim O'Brien. Review to come soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment