May 23, 2011

My Tweeting Hiatus (& a 30 Day Detox)



Last week, I decided to give that little blue bird the cold shoulder & it felt so good (yet so bad!). My generation has become a pool of addicts. Gadget addicts, Google addicts, social networking addicts, texting addicts, blogging addicts, complete maniacal addicts! (Not to mention those who are addicted to much worst things.)We're OBSESSED with telling each other everything. What we're eating, where we are, who we're with, how we're feeling, what we're thinking...it goes on & on & on. And these days, there are a million platforms to advertise this information.

But for what? Why do we feel so compelled to share all this information? To feel more connected to others? To start a conversation, maybe even spark an arguement? Are we starved for attention?

I've always been a fan of the online community. I had a blog before the term was coined. I had a Myspace long before many. I always used the internet to connect to others. To fill a void that was created from years of being unpopular & not having alot of friends. My life has changed alot since those days. I'm no longer the attention-starved, insecure, 15 year old that I once was (but how I wish I could relive those days!). I am surrounded by great friends, I have a great family, & my life is a true blessing. Seeking out attention from others is no longer my number one priority.

So onto the point of this post! Phew! If you made it this far, BRAVO!
I took a time out from Twitter to regroup. Reprioritize. Rethink why I use social platforms to exchange information. I realized that I was feeding off the emotions of others 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Allowing other people's thoughts to seep into my own. It was time to think for myself. Regain my sense of positivity & greatfulness because you get what you give. Negativity breathes negativity.

Kaelah shared a great idea on her blog a couple of weeks ago. The 30 Day Detox. She challenged her readers to abstain from negative tweeting & blogging for 30 days. Of course, she took it to the next level & decided to make some personal changes as well. Which is what I would like to do too!

For the next 30 days, I'm going to attempt to inspire & uplift those around me as well as accomplish a few goals. Who knows, if it goes well maybe we'll turn this into a 90-day challenge!?

Come back tomorrow for a list of my 30 Day Detox goals.

Love & light, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment